Well, the title says it all, really. I recall struggling with this aspect of my wedding reception lo those many years ago. I wanted a song that was romantic and had meaningful words. I wanted something different than the usual first dance songs at wedding receptions. So I asked a few of my musically diverse friends for suggestions of alternative First Wedding Dance songs and they assisted me with these romantic gems.
1. The Only Story I Tell, The Silos
2. Hold You In My Arms, Ray LaMontagne
3. Your Face, Glen Hansard (The Frames)
4. Have A Little Faith In Me, John Hiatt
5. Magic In The Air, Badly Drawn Boy
6. First In Line, Mathew Mayfield
7. Breathe, Eddie Vedder
8. Your Company, Marketa Irglova (This video is not great, but buy the song and listen to lyrics--You will not be disappointed! This is on her newly released album and I'm going on a limb here and say that she wrote this song with her new husband in mind. So sweet!)
9. Naked As We Came, Iron And Wine (Having been married for over 13 years, this song still makes me cry with hope and love!)
10. When You Say Nothing At All, Allison Kraus And Union Station
Want more? Kisa Koenig has been compiling a really impressive list of Love Songs, along with the lyrics.
Did you have an unconventional or atypical song as your first dance at your wedding? What was it?