Thursday, September 30, 2010

20 Questions--A new blog series where I ask people in the industry to distill what they know is true...



In my 15+ years of helping brides with their invitations and event inspirations, I've noticed that many brides are smart and creative women who love the ideas but just don't know where to start! This is a new series I’ve started to help brides and event planners narrow down the wealth of information available to them, and focus on what’s the simple truth about planning an event. I’ll be interviewing many people from all aspects of event planning (pros and people just like you!) and compiling the information into some lists that will grow as the year goes along. And because I’ve never been one to stop at “just business”, I ask some of my favorite personality questions at the end. You should know that these folks are extraordinary people, just like you!
I'll start things off by throwing myself into the ring and answering first:
1. WHAT IS YOUR STORY IN A NUTSHELL?
I was a graphic designer from birth, creating logos and exploring color combinations very early on. I entered the corporate world as a graphic designer straight after graduating from Miami University, and after a few years started my own custom invitation design business. Taking a leap of faith with my business partner at the time, we cornered Colin Cowie at a party and showed him our portfolio of designs and received our first job a week later. I owned and ran my retail stationery and custom design store in Cincinnati from 2002 until 2010 and am now thoroughly enjoying my blog and invitation designing from my home studio. I am married to another entrepreneur, Matt, who produces delicious gelato and am trying not to screw up the raising of my 3 children ages 10 (girl), 7 (girl) and 5 (boy).

2. WHAT ARE THE HIGHLIGHTS OF YOUR WEDDING?
My wedding was at my husband's family farm in Adams County, Ohio. It was outdoors in a field on a hot August day that thankfully was not rainy. My colors were chartreuse green and white and I think about 250 people were there.

3. IF YOU COULD DO IT AGAIN, WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE?
I sure would have hired someone to manage the day-of wedding events. I was hollering at family to get photos taken, panicking because we couldn't find the flowers, and I didn't eat one thing (which is very unlike me) because of worrying about who was doing what. It was not pretty and it made me exhausted!

4. WHAT'S ONE GREAT WAY TO ADD SOMETHING PERSONAL TO YOUR WEDDING?
Well, I started this blog because there are so many ways to do that! My wedding invitations had photos of my parent's wedding and my husband's parents wedding because we wanted to honor the wonderful role models they were to our relationship. This could be translated into photos at the host card table or centerpieces on each table. Everyone wants to feel the love at a wedding!

5. WHAT IS THE SIMPLEST DIY PROJECT YOU'D SUGGEST FOR AN EVENT?
Make favor tags by uploading your photo and message to an on-line business card printer like Vista Prints. Punch holes in them and tie them to your favors.

6. WHAT IS ONE GREAT WAY TO MAKE YOUR GUESTS FEEL WELCOME?
Give them directives: Where to sit, what they'll be eating, what will be the order of events etc. They are glad to be knowing what's going on so they won't miss anything and so they can make this day great for you!

7. WHAT'S YOUR BEST DIY TIP?
Don't plan to do any DIY projects the week before your event.

8. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE PRODUCT OUT RIGHT NOW?
Happy Tape.

9. WHAT'S A GREAT WEDDING SONG?
I have 2 (of course!) both by the same singer: Falling Slowly by The Swell Season, and Your Face, The Frames

10. WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT COLOR COMBINATION?
Tough question Margot, there are so many beautiful colors! I'd have to say I'm a big fan of marigold yellow and warm gray.

11. WHAT DO YOU PREDICT THE NEXT HOT WEDDING COLORS WILL BE?
Anything with purple.

12. WHAT FOOD DID YOU SERVE AT YOUR LAST SOCIAL EVENT?
I had my family over for dinner and I served brisket, potatoes and carrots.

13. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BLOG AND WHY?
Cake Wrecks because it is a nice break from all the industry blogs I read (and love) and it is always side-splitting hilarious.

14. WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT FAVORITE DESIGN TREND?
Hand drawn anything. I love that people are using their computers to complete their designs but not start them.

15. WHAT DOES YOUR SKETCHBOOK/IDEA BOOK LOOK LIKE?
You mean sketchbooks? I have a black Moleskein with lined pages for my work bag (so I can take copious notes), a turquoise small one for my purse when I have emergency sketching needs, and a hand-made journal with blank pages that I sketch on.

16. HOW DO YOU START A PROJECT?
I pull out the sketchbook and start researching visuals on the web. Then I make word lists related to my topic, and start roughly sketching basic layouts in my book.

17. WHAT MAKES YOUR CREATIVE JUICES FLOW?
Anything on etsy! I always wish I'd thought of the great and beautiful ideas on there!

18. WHAT'S YOUR ASTROLOGICAL SIGN?
Cancer with Cancer rising. I'm all about the moon, peeps!

19. ARE YOU AN INTROVERT OR AN EXTROVERT?
Usually an introvert but seem to be splitting the difference the older I get.

20. WHAT IS SOMETHIGN SURPRISING ABOUT YOU?
I am obsessed with The Outlander book series by Diana Gabaldon. Though this is not surprising to those who know me because I manage to squeeze it into nearly every conversation I have with people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin Me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails