Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How to write time correctly on your invitation


I was wondering about this the other day while preparing a proof and I thought I'd look it up to be sure. I'm really glad that I did look it up, because I was hyphenating when I shouldn't have been. *sigh* It seems I'm always over-punctuating...

Here are some helpful rules on how to write time from this website (which, incidentally has lots of other handy grammatical rules).

Rule 12

Normally, spell out the time of day in text even with half and quarter hours. With o'clock, the number is always spelled out.
Examples:
She gets up at four thirty before the baby wakes up.
The baby wakes up at five o'clock in the morning.


Rule 13

Use numerals with the time of day when exact times are being emphasized or when using A.M. or P.M.
Examples:
Monib's flight leaves at 6:22 A.M.
Please arrive by 12:30 sharp.

She had a 7:00 P.M. deadline. 

Rule 14

Use noon and midnight rather than 12:00 P.M. and 12:00 A.M.

Rule 15

Hyphenate all compound numbers from twenty-one through ninety-nine.
Examples:
Forty-three persons were injured in the train wreck.
Twenty-three of them were hospitalized.

1 comment:

  1. a great website with great tips I will also recommend the most complete directory of numbers numbers dates and so on in English
    https://englishpapa.com/numbers-and-numerals-in-english-the-most-comprehensive-guide/

    ReplyDelete

Pin Me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails